Sunday, May 16, 2010

Treading through Training

Coming off of the OT 50, I allowed myself a week of recovery followed by another week of light runs to allow for more healing. 

I posted a long run of about 13 miles two weeks after the race and felt pretty good.  Even last week, I ran fairly low mileage because I have had my sweet granddaughter here and finding time to fit in running has been more challenging. 

On Wednesday, I ran a total of 9 miles and though the humidity was rough, I felt ok until that evening.  By bedtime, I had some pretty uncomfortable pain in my right foot.  On Thursday morning, I could barely walk on it.  I was sure I had a case of Plantar Fascitiis.  However, by the evening, I was able to put in a slow run, mostly due to humid conditions as my foot felt ok.  About an hour after the run, the pain set in again.  By morning, I was again unable to bear much weight on my foot.

I rested on Friday and applied ice several times during the day.  Saturday morning, I was still unable to place any real weight on my foot, so I reluctantly canceled my long run.  Last night, I made the decision to not even try to run today and just give myself another day of rest to see if it would have any impact on the pain.

When I awoke this morning, I jumped out of bed and started my day as usual.  Not until 30 minutes into my day did I realize that I did NOT have any pain in my foot!  I am so happy as I was quite concerned that I was looking at several weeks out of training to heal.

I am not sure what is really going on, only that both legs are still extremely tight and need to be worked over.  I did X Stretch on Saturday and more stretching today.  I am hoping that this will help release the tightness that is pulling on different locations causing these difficulties. 

Tomorrow is a scheduled rest day so I may stick with that, but if the cool front comes through tonight, I may sneak a short run in to try things out.

On deck for my next race is one of the Capt'n Karl's 60Ks.  I was planning on July, but it looks like I may have another commitment that would keep me close to home.  August or September are my other choices, so I'll shoot for August and plan for September! 

Of course the big one is in October.  I am really wanting to get Cactus Rose 100 miler done.  I would prefer to do my first 100 before the holidays, but if something happens and I can't, I've got Rocky as my back up plan. 

Being a mom dictates that I must put family first and fit the running in when possible.  The family is always supportive of my passion so I try to not pick times to race that would be very disruptive to family events.  Of course this also means I must be willing to drop a race or run on short notice, so I never really commit to anything until I reach the start line.  It's a wonderful blessing that I get to run and have so much fun doing it, but nothing comes close to the blessing of my children, not even running.

No comments:

Post a Comment