Monday, September 6, 2010

Consistency

Seems I wrote about this particular topic a few months ago and committed to remaining consistent in my training no matter what to see what could happen.

Of late, actually since Captain Karl's disaster of a run, I have not remained consistent in any of my training.  I've run some long runs most weeks, but the weekday runs are getting harder and harder to get excited about.  My mileage has dropped along with my motivation to get those miles in.

Once I am out on the run, I feel great and look forward to my next run.  But then the next day comes around and I just can't believe how much I have to push myself to get back out there.  As well, by weight training and core workouts have all but vanished the last month.  I KNOW I need to do it, I just don't FEEL like it.

Not really sure what is going on.  I've been dealing with a few physical issues such as low iron and fatigue, but overall, I am injury-free and should be eating up this opportunity to run as much as possible.  I know that I am having to switch to morning workouts and I don't enjoy that.  I like to run in the evening.  It's a great way to unwind from the day and focus on goals for the future.  Running in the morning affords me the opportunity for other such wonderful things such as seeing the sunrise, praying first thing in the morning, and getting an early start on my day.  So why can't I embrace the switch?  No idea.

I also wrote a post a few weeks back about not making excuses, and I really am not making excuses here, just trying to keep things real.  I am in major need of some new motivation.  I bought some new music today to help inspire me to get out there.  Perhaps signing up for the race will spur my unwilling spirit, I just don't know.  I can't help but wonder if I am just not quite ready to take on the challenge that I have thought I have wanted for the past 2 years.  A hundred miles is a long way.  And before that 100 miles, there are many, many, many hours of training that must be logged.  The question for me is whether or not I am willing to commit to it or not.  I struggle with whether or not this is really where I should be putting my efforts.  And right now, I just don't know.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but I have been trying (emphasis on trying, being type a by nature) to practice running just to run at least weekly. I always have to remind myself not to think too much about the future but enjoy my ability.

    I like to call it "organic" or "unplugged" running. I can be competitive on other runs if I feel that I must.

    Hope you are able to get to where you want to be soon. For all of us, it seems like this is all an experiment we have to change up ever so often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Adrienne. Not a bad idea at all!

    ReplyDelete