Saturday, July 30, 2011

Late Night Long Run

I had to get my long run in on Friday night this week because Fish was participating in his first ever triathlon this morning.

The run was the longest since Rocky, which in hindsight, was probably way overdue. I had 20 on the schedule and came up a bit short just for Tommy! I couldn't see my watch and in spite of adding on a bit here and there, came in at 19.22 which drives me insane. At 11:30 pm, and knowing I had a 5 am wake up call, I wasn't much up for a fight.

The run went well, only the last 2 miles were a bit of a struggle due to leg fatigue. I hydrated well, ate every hour and kept the S-caps on board. Some new tunes on the mp3 kept my mind occupied as well. The new Third Day CD and Shawn McDonald went well with the mood of my run.

I was greeted within the first 3 miles with a beautiful sunset which illuminated the sky in a fantastic pink hue. Through the clouds, a rainbow dangled in the air and gave me a reason to smile.

The run was fairly uneventful, with the exception of the two pantless guys who rode by me in the dark. One on a scooter, one on a bike, followed by two fully clothed guys, obviously making sure they were making good on a dare or a bet they lost. Both had on shirts, but were absolutely naked from the waist down. And people are afraid of trail runs?

The first loop out was 12 miles. Came back in for a fill up. The Nathan vest which had been collecting dust since February made it's appearance. I couldn't wait to strip it off. It felt wrong from the get go which is strange because it has always worked really well. After I emptied the bladder about half way, it became more comfortable, but I still opted to leave it home for the 2nd loop and carried my hand held instead.

All in all, it was a great night for a run. Ran it is 3:15. Pace approx. 10:08 using the 8/2 method.

I can't wait till the 20 milers feel like an easy run again.

No comments:

Post a Comment