Monday, July 18, 2011

Training Update

I've been able to get a few solid weeks of training in over the last few weeks. Feeling strong, pushing through to that next level of "fitness" that I hope to carry to the start line in October.

I've really enjoyed delving more into swimming and Yoga. I know people have told me time and time again that I should incorporate both into my regime, and I finally have. Trying to juggle those with the higher mileage is proving to be a bit of a challenge, but because we are not schooling right now, I've only got to worry about pool time with the kids, laundry, curriculum planning, laundry, seeing clients, laundry, grocery shopping, laundry, and working out, oh, and the occasional load of laundry. Another aspect of training which I have more faithfully adopted are consistent overall strengthening workouts. From 120 push ups at a time, to Jillian Michaels Abs and Workout DVDs, I'm trying to keep it fresh and keep it doable. I have rather enjoyed getting down and dirty with the rowing machine at the Y. All in all, I feel much more balanced, if you will, as an athlete.

Summer around these parts is very hot, so outdoor training has to be timed properly else, one could sustain a serious case of heat exhaustion. I have been care to either run early in the am, or later in the evening to avoid this condition. Even after the sun sets, temps are still in the mid to upper 80s. I can't even pretend to know how this is possible.

Last summer, I missed several opportunities to run because I did not want to run on the treadmill. The few times I tried, I loathed it. I dubbed those runs "Dreadmill" runs, as they were definitely something I dreaded.

Now, having a bit more experience under my belt, I understand that a run on the treadmill is better than no run at all, especially if I want to be in shape to run in October this year. Therefore, from now on, my Dreadmill runs will be recoined, Happymill runs! Afterall, shouldn't I be "Happy" to run no matter what?

Run with Joy in your heart and a smile on your face!

4 comments:

  1. You are a much better person than I. No run on a treadmill is happy. Hence, I get outside no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using the rower C2? Rowing is a great cross trainer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Brad! I love using it! I am working on building up my time to 30 mins. Usually hit it after swim/run brick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope the swimming is going well! I've been wanting to try the Jillian DVD, Ab Ripper X is getting old!

    ReplyDelete