Monday, October 10, 2011

Race Week

One of the biggest challenges in my life is remaining completely present within the moment I am in.  I have an uncanny knack for living in the future.  Waiting with great anticipation for things that are to come.  Even to the point of great anxiety and fear and at the expense of losing the moment I should be embracing.

My goal this week is to remain present with the children as we do school, chores, errands, etc.  The simple activities of the day can provide so many opportunities to deepen our relationship with one another, and I am sad to say, I often miss these opportunities because I am planning, worrying, getting ready for something yet to be.

While I do need to prepare for the race, I am going to leave my focus on the present.  It's all I have.  That saying, tomorrow may not come, is so true, and what good is my life if all I have ever done is looked ahead to the moments I "think" I may have the privilege of living rather than embracing the ones I am given every minute of the day?

Simple Mom is a favorite blog of mine and her post today could not have come at a better time for me.  While she and I are going through different scenarios of life, the sentiment is the same.  The grass is greener where you water it.

5 comments:

  1. Good for you. Sometimes looking outward, instead of inward, can give you clarity when you least expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to make you think of the future - but good luck this weekend. Andrea email from Kenya and asked me to tell you that she is praying for you. I am too.

    Run on ...

    - Tommy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said! I think that is a great outlook and I wish I did more of that myself! Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great closing line. It's all about the moment, whether it's just making the most out of life or out there on the course/trail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Karen. I often live in the future too, so I have to make a conscious effort to remember to appreciate what's happening in the present. Good luck this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete