Monday, October 27, 2014

The Old Days

Beginning to feel my age, I suppose.  My children are aging out and moving on, and while I still have 3 at home full-time and 1 away at college, I sometimes long for the old days.  Before texting.  Before Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat.  

While I do remember how I felt "trapped" at home with no one around from time to time, I miss the old days when we could shut the world out.  Really shut the world out.  And the only way to let the world in was if they called on the phone or showed up on the door step.  

I do enjoy having the technology now, but this mindset of having to respond instantaneously, (I mean really, does everyone respond like that?  And why is that an expectation?) is driving me to start to wonder if I might go rogue and ditch my cell phone (don't really use it as a phone anyway), fb, and all the other "fun" things I feel slave to.  

This would mean I would re-claim a landline and communicate via email or **GASP** hand-written letters!  That would not be horrible.  Maybe I would even finish one of the books in my stack.  Or consistently write on the blog.  I could be the new "hipster" thing.  Hm. 


(In an effort to get my blogging back in gear, I have taken the #microblogmonday challenge.  You can jump back into blogging too!)

3 comments:

  1. I understand wanting to ditch your phone. You could also just let your friends get used to you responding whenever you feel like it instead of right away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't answer instantly. I answer as much as I can answer in the time frame when I'm doing answering, trying to triage the things that have the most emotional weight or are time sensitive. I'm sure it annoys people, but what can I do? I want my phone/computer to enhance my life, not limit it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of you starting the new 'hipster' thing.
    I practically never answer my phone, I don't like to be that available. I also hate listening to voicemail - but I will call the person back. What drives me crazy is how people feel free to cancel/change plans at ten minutes notice with a text - assuming you have your phone. I miss the old days where you made plans in person, or on the landline and you had to turn up as there was no way of getting hold of the other person if they weren't at home.

    Now I'm sounding like a grumpy old curmudgeon.

    ReplyDelete